Notifications

Please do not use to report errors- use your regional help desk.
Please mark posts as being for RPG or RDMLX (LANSA) developer.
To subscribe by email, display this forum, scroll to the end and select ‘Subscribe Forum’.
stevec

Notifications

Post by stevec » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:14 am

Does longrange (or will it) support notifications? On my Iphone for example, even if app not opened, I get notifications (like new text message, a new paypal transaction, or new grade from kids school, etc). I can click on them which will open app and take me directly to it.

I would like to do this on longrange apps.

tsupartono

Re: Notifications

Post by tsupartono » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:34 pm

LongRange client does support notifications, however you'd need to have a custom version of LongRange to be able to receive notifications.

Note that LongRange does not provide any server-side API to send notifications. You'd need to either directly invoke the vendor-specific Web APIs (e.g. Apple, Google), or use one of the many cloud messaging solutions (e.g. Azure, Amazon) from your server-side code.
If you are going to do this from your RDML, the recommended approach is to use LANSA Integrator.

stevec

Post by stevec » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Is this still true no push notifications?

jasonzhou

Post by jasonzhou » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:24 pm

Push notification is only supported in custom version of LongRange, so you need to lodge an application for custom version to have push notification feature in app.

In addition to a custom version, an implementation of connection making and message sending to push notification service is needed on server as well. Each vendor has their own notification service, like Apple's APNS (Apple Push Notification Service) and Google's FCM (Firebase Cloud Messaging).

If you are using RDML, you may need a third party cloud messaging service (for example, Microsoft Azure Notification Hub and Amazon SNS) because for Apple push notification, a ssl connection with certificate is needed during connection. RDML can't make a connection like this. Moreover, use a third party cloud messaging service can also help handle push notifications in different platforms.