Any way to dump posted data without specific reference?

Please mark posts as being for RPG or RDMLX (LANSA) developers.
To subscribe by email, display this forum, scroll to the end and select ‘Subscribe Forum’.
jabain

Any way to dump posted data without specific reference?

Post by jabain » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:09 am

Hi All,

Using LongRange LANSA RDMLX / V7R1 / IOS8 / Online

Is there any way to dump all the iPad screen data available to your program after a the iPad returns control to your program? It would greatly help in debugging when building new code and not getting expected results.
I may be incorrect on my understanding of the Architecture, but I assume that when you click a button on the iPad, it does an HTTP post with all the data to the server. The data is then available for retrieval with the Get_TextBox and other Get commands. The problem is that sometimes we may have the path to the data in the get command incorrect.
Having a way to dump would be a great aid to debugging.

E.g. In PHP there is a print_r() command which gives a dump like the one below.
<pre>
Array
(
[a] => apple
=> banana
[c] => Array
(
[0] => x
[1] => y
[2] => z
)
)
</pre>

MarkDuignan

Re: Any way to dump posted data without specific reference?

Post by MarkDuignan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:02 pm

You could try turning on server side tracing (On client device -> Settings -> Troubleshooting and Support -> Server side logging – turn System Level on).
If you cannot turn tracing on then you will need to specifically enable it.

The trace should dump out all the name-value pairs arriving at the server.
The name-value pairs are what drives the LongRange engine and possibly what you are looking for.
The names map to the names you use in your code in a fairly straightforward and predictable.
There is a lot of data usually – but the ones to look for in an arriving set of data are like:
InsertNameValuePair -->|Inserted|.FORM.FIELDS.F004005.VALUE|aGVsbG8gc2FpbG9y
Which is the arriving property Form.Fields.F004005.Value. The value “aGVsbG8gc2FpbG9y” is base 64 encoded, but easy to decode using a site like https://www.base64decode.org/ to “hello sailor”.

A system dump shows the LongRange 'interpretation' of the arriving data.
If you wanted something more low level you could look at using Fiddler on your PC. See http://docs.telerik.com/fiddler/configu ... allFiddler
There are many articles available on how to configure your PC to acts a proxy for your IOS device. [url]Eg: http://docs.telerik.com/fiddler/configu ... gureForiOS[/url]

jabain

Post by jabain » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks Mark,

Sounds like the trace will work for me. I will try that out.

I thought about fiddler in the past, but the network that I am in is complex, and I have had difficulty in the past with getting the ports opened on firewalls/vpn's/etc to get this to work. It works great for web development when the client and fiddler are on the same machine.

Regards,

Andy

jabain

Post by jabain » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:56 am

Hi Mark,

The client will not let me turn on server side tracing.

I tried adjusting the client.xml file as specified in the docs, but it is still not working.

I am not sure what you meant below by "Specifically enable it".

Will the #COM_OWNER.AppTraceOn in the code give the same level of tracing?

Andy

MarkDuignan

Post by MarkDuignan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:21 pm

When you say it won't work - do you mean (1) - that you cannot turn the option on at the client device, or (2) that no trace files appear when the option is turned on?

Yes, that is what I meant by specifically enabling it. It is disabled by default as a security measures.

An application level trace will not trace the same deep system details.

You can programmatically turn system tracing on/off in the same way that you can turn application level tracing on/off.

However - if your problem is (2) then the files may still not appear (eg: you are not authorized to write a file to the IFS trace folder).

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Andy, just a thought but did you refresh the schema after you changed the Client.xml file?

In any case to turn on System tracing programmatically use the following...

Code: Select all

#COM_OWNER.SystemTraceOn
And off use......

Code: Select all

#COM_OWNER.SystemTraceOff
However, you really need client tracing to work because your server program would have already started when you try to turn system tracing on.

I hope this helps.

jabain

Post by jabain » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi Mark and Paul,

You were right. I needed to reload my schema, and now it allows me to turn on the tracing from the client side.

I found the system trace files and they are quite verbose and cryptic, however, they will suit my needs. I can search for a field by name, and can verify the full path, and value returned.

Thanks for the assistance.

Andy